Monday 11 June 2012

Saturday 9 June Figueres to Eyguieres


Caught the TGV (high speed train) across the border to the French town of Perpignan, where we were booked to collect our rental car. Much drama with the collection of the damn thing, as they had to put a 1000 euro ‘hold’ against my VISA, which gave a tired sigh, and refused to play the game. No wireless in the train station, so I headed into town to find a wireless cafe so I could transfer some funds. Found a cyber cafe alright, but these French keyboards are all completely differently set out to ours, so I managed to put in the wrong username and/or password at least three times. Unbeknownst to me, that then locks your online access for 24 hours. I hit the streets again, and finally found a nice hotel that let me use their wireless for an only moderately exorbitant price, only to find that I could not get into my account using my own laptop either. Quelle horreur!!
After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, we finally noticed an international help number at the bottom of the screen, and, using the last few cents on Jeremy’s mobile phone, we got hold of a real NZ person at the National Bank. I have never been so pleased to hear someone speaking English, especially with a kiwi accent. Must have been about midnight on Saturday night in NZ. She unlocked my account, I transferred the money and all was sunshine and happiness again. We got the car, drove to Carcassone for a late lunch and a look around the castle, and then off to the small village of Eyguieres for the night. Slept well, pleased not to be in Perpignan for the night!

Carcassonne - a real fairytale castle

Walking up the pathway to Carcassonne

Romy and the castle

Carcassonne cathedral

Jessa and the drawbridge in to the last bastion of defence at Carcassonne

Danae hunting moles, Eyguieres B and B - some real genuine countryside!!

No comments:

Post a Comment